specialist tax support
We provide bespoke specialist advice to solicitors, accountants and other advisers of private clients throughout the country and overseas covering all the taxation issues which face such clients. We offer a source of the most expert advice on private client taxation. Smaller and medium sized firms gain a private client specialist ‘partner’ whom they may call on when needed. Larger firms gain access to a source of creative advice and expert second opinion.
expert Tax Advice
We provide advice in relation to specific client situations, including recommendations on how tax can be minimised.
Complex technical matters can rarely be determined with absolute certainty. We consider that all tax advice needs to take account of the financial consequences of alternative outcomes and the cost and inconvenience of becoming involved in protracted enquiries by, and disputes and litigation with, HMRC.
Our attitude to taxation planning is practical. Tax planning must stand up to rigorous technical scrutiny including a proper evaluation of its risks and to full, open and honest disclosure to HMRC. We supply that scrutiny based on long experience and dispassionate objectivity.
What advice do we provide?
We advise on all the taxation issues affecting the private client, including:-
- Inheritance Tax
- Capital Gains Tax on share and property disposals
- Cross border asset structuring
- The UK taxation of non-domiciliaries including the remittance basis and Business Investment Relief
- Offshore trust and company taxation
- Multi-jurisdictional planning for short term non-residents
- The application of the Statutory Residence Test
- The use of insurance and pension products in Inheritance Tax, Capital Gains Tax and Income Tax planning
- Entrepreneurs’ Relief and other major Capital Gains Tax reliefs
- National Heritage Property and maintenance funds
- Tax disclosures to be made to HMRC
- Stamp Duty and Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT)
- HMRC enquiries into a client’s tax return
- HMRC investigations into an IHT400 form
- Disputes with HMRC including historic tax planning cases and related issues of follower and accelerated payment notices
- All other capital transactions relevant to the private client
- Tax litigation support
- Expert Witness Reports on private client tax matters.
WHAT our CLIENTS SAY ABOUT US
Watkins Stewart & Ross, Solicitors has said of our services to their firm:-
‘As a busy general practice we find it enormously useful to have access to an authoritative source of private client taxation expertise. McKie & Co’s advice is always clear, practical and relevant as well as being impressively technically exact. Our clients appreciate our ability to draw on cost effective, specialist advice of the highest standard.’
CaN we help you?
If you have a matter on which you require tax advice please contact us by completing the form opposite.